POSITION: Director of Adult Literacy
STATUS: Full-time exempt
LOCATION: New York City (currently remote)
START DATE: September 2021
Literacy Partners strengthens families through a two-generation approach to education. With our free classes, community-based workshops, and educational media, low-income parents develop the literacy and language skills they need to succeed in today’s world. Our research-based curriculum also incorporates child development and parenting support to help parents boost their children’s early reading, school readiness, and social emotional growth.
The Position: We are looking for an exceptional individual who believes in our mission and is able to work with a dynamic and talented team to develop and grow our literacy and language programs in the Liz Smith Center for Adult Literacy (https://literacypartners.org/our-classes).
Reporting to the Chief Program Officer, this leadership position will work closely with the CPO, Senior Director of Research and Evaluation and program managers to develop, monitor and run the internal systems necessary for the Liz Smith Center for Adult Literacy program to achieve ambitious goals, while maintaining program quality and grant compliance.
In particular, the Director of Adult Literacy will be responsible for managing all ESOL classes and supervising ESOL teachers, working with the program managers for Reading for Adults and our college transition program (LEAP) to scale and sustain programming, and coordinating recruiting and referrals for all programs with the Health Equity Manager.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership and vision for the strategic planning efforts for the development, expansion, synthesis and continuous improvement of all adult literacy initiatives, programs, outreach and services.
- Work with senior leadership to develop, monitor and enhance evaluation tools to measure, interpret, and analyze the outcomes of education, outreach initiatives and programs.
- Assist program managers in resource development and budget management to sustain and expand adult literacy programming.
- Prioritize and realize team development to meet emerging needs across Literacy Partners, and within the community, including coordination with Volunteer Coordinator, Health Equity Manager and Community Engagement Manager.
- Ensure compliance and reporting requirements are met for governmental and foundation grants for all Adult Literacy programs, including workforce tracking, social services referrals, and enrollment and achievement targets.
- Manage logistics of English for Parents program, including recruitment, registration, class schedules, assessment and management of student, intern and volunteer records in Salesforce, and curriculum coordination with the ESOL Lead Teacher.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Minimum five years experience managing adult literacy programs, ESOL preferred
- BA Degree, MA preferred
- Excellent leadership, supervisory, planning, and organization skills.
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment, responsive to changing goals, priorities and needs
- Strong digital communications skills, including database and project management software
- Bilingual a plus, but not required (Mandarin, Spanish, Arabic)
- Experience in non-profits preferred
- Great sense of humor
Compensation and Benefits
- 20 vacation days, 3 personal days, 12 holidays
- Excellent medical, vision and dental plan
- Employer-matched contributions to retirement plan
How to Apply: Send resume with a brief cover letter to email@example.com. Please include an acceptable salary range in the cover letter. Put “Director of Adult Literacy” with your name in the subject line. Interviews will be granted on a rolling basis until the position is filled with a start date September 2021.
Literacy Partners is committed to diversity and is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.