Position: Community Engagement & Student Support
Status: Associate Manager, Full-time
Location: New York City (remote and in-person)
Start Date: Immediately
Parents come to Literacy Partners to transform their lives and create a brighter future for their children through the power of literacy. Through our free adult literacy classes, workshops, and educational media, parents further develop the literacy and language skills they need to solve problems, achieve their goals, and better promote their children’s early learning, social emotional growth, and school readiness.
We understand literacy as both a public health issue and a critical lever to moving the needle on health access and equity. Using a trauma-informed approach to our two-generation model, Literacy Partners supports our parents in and out of the classroom. Health literacy skills development is part of our English classes, and soon our basic reading classes as well. We are looking for an exceptional individual who will coordinate our eﬀorts to:
- Organize student recruitment from Early Childhood Centers, and other community-based organizations;
- Expand and cultivate a network of health care providers who refer the parents of their pediatrics patients to us for classes;
- Build connection with our students, identifying any family needs beyond literacy and language skills and referring them to appropriate services and resources; and
- Promote the leadership skills of our immigrant parent students to serve as peer mentors and parent ambassadors to other students.
Reporting to the Community Engagement Manager, and working closely with the Workforce Case Manager, the Associate Manager of Community Engagement & Student Support Coordinator is part of our diverse, social justice oriented team of 35 staﬀ and more than 100 volunteers and interns.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Serves as the point of contact for health care providers who would like to refer adult family members of their pediatrics patients for English or adult basic literacy classes.
- Strengthens our relationships with health care providers so that we receive a consistent number of referrals throughout the year to match our service capacity.
- Establishes or strengthens relationships with Reach Out and Read programs operating at the health care providers sites in our network.
- Coordinates recruitment eﬀorts from Early Childhood Centers, and other community-based organizations
- Coordinates with teachers and other staﬀ to ensure timely screening and data collection from students in relation to the “social determinants of health.”
- Oversees all Literacy Partners student referrals for social services to address the “social determinants of health” using the NowPow and UnitedNYC platforms.
- Recruits, trains, and supervises interns and volunteers to assist in screening Literacy Partners students and making referrals for social services.
- Coordinates the provision of emergency relief funds to students when available.
- Tracks student-level data using our database, maintains a dashboard to communicate real time progress towards goals, and produces periodic quantitative and qualitative reports.
- Coaches and mentors parent ambassadors – Literacy Partners students who exercise leadership in helping other immigrant parents enroll and thrive in our classes and navigate the healthcare system – creating opportunities for them to make presentations and facilitate workshops that extend the learning beyond the classroom.
- At least two (2) years of experience working in and with immigrant communities (e.g. organizing, direct services).
- At least two (2) years experience with project management (e.g. projects, campaigns, events).
- Highly organized and excellent time management skills.
- Track record of success in providing case management, counseling, eligibility determination, social service or community resource referral to immigrant populations.
- Ability to communicate eﬀectively with a diverse audience.
- Strong ability to build relationships of connection and trust.
- Highest level of integrity and accountability to the people served.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues, and work independently as needed.
- Experience with or ability to learn Salesforce.
- Proﬁcient with Google Drive applications and Microsoft Oﬀice.
- Bilingual Spanish required.
- Good sense of humor
- 20 vacation days, 3 personal days, 12 holidays
- Excellent medical, vision and dental plan
- Employer-matched contributions and retirement plan
How to apply:
Send resume and brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include salary range expectations and earliest start date in the cover letter. Put “Community Engagement & Student Support” with your full name in the subject line. Interviews will be granted on a rolling basis until the position is ﬁlled.
Mission-driven, family-friendly work environment. We focus on results and support our team with flexibility in hours and other work arrangements to get there.
Literacy Partners is committed to diversity and is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.