POSITION: ESOL Teacher: English for Parents (online)
LOCATION: New York City
START DATE: January 2023
Literacy Partners strengthens families through a two-generation approach to education. With our free classes, community-based workshops, and educational media, low-income parents develop the literacy and language skills they need to succeed in today’s world. Our research-based curriculum incorporates child development and parent support to help parents boost their children’s early reading, school readiness, and health and wellness.
The Position: The English for Parents Teacher (online) will be responsible for teaching four adult ESOL classes, all virtually over zoom. All classes are designed for parents of young children and emphasize parent-child connection, reading with children, early childhood development, and health literacy. We focus on parents in order to have a two-generation impact: helping low-income, immigrant parents gain the skills they need to create a better life for themselves while advancing their children’s cognitive development and health.
Reporting to the English for Parents Program Manager, this position is a member of a teaching team and will join our diverse, social justice-oriented team of 30 staff and more than 100 interns and volunteers.
- Teach 4 classes (online).
- Submit required student data as needed.
- Collaborate with the ESOL teacher team and program manager to develop curriculum, adapt and execute lesson plans that integrate reading with children, connection between parent and child, health literacy and workforce development.
- Ensure lessons are logically sequenced, level appropriate, address various learning styles within the online and in-person environments and adhere to the scope and sequence.
- Maintain a class atmosphere that is culturally responsive and inclusive.
- Manage in-class volunteers and interns and integrate them meaningfully into the lessons using a communicative language approach.
- Participate in a monthly Community of Practice, attend staff and team meetings, and participate in professional development opportunities.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Minimum two-year experience teaching ESOL to adult students (preferably parents of young children)
- Degree in related field (e.g., Education, Early Childhood, Public Health)
- TESOL certified
- Proficiency in Zoom and Google Suite
- Experience teaching online
- Strong communication and interpersonal abilities
- Proficiency in Salesforce preferred
- Bilingual a plus, but not required (Mandarin, Spanish, Arabic)
- Experience in non-profits preferred
- Great sense of humor
Compensation and Benefits
Salary: $50,000 (32-hour workweek)
- 20 vacation days, 3 personal days, 12 holidays
- Excellent medical, vision and dental plan
- Employer-matched contributions to retirement plan
How to Apply: Send resume with a brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “ESOL Online Teacher” with your name in the subject line. Interviews will be granted on a rolling basis until the position is filled with a start date in January 2023.
Literacy Partners is committed to diversity and is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.