POSITION: Manager of Volunteers and Home Libraries
STATUS: Full-time exempt
LOCATION: New York City (remote and in-person)
START DATE: Immediately
Literacy Partners strengthens families through a two-generation approach to education. With our free classes, community-based workshops, and educational media, low-income parents develop the literacy and language skills they need to succeed in today’s world. Our research-based curriculum also incorporates child development and parenting support to help parents boost their children’s early reading, school readiness, and social-emotional growth.
We are looking for an exceptional individual who believes in our mission and wants to develop skills and experience in non-profit volunteer management and two-generation approaches to literacy. This position will join our diverse, social justice oriented team of 28 staff and more than 150 interns and volunteers.
At Literacy Partners, volunteers and books are at the heart of our programs and outreach. Our volunteers work as tutors, facilitators, conversation partners and assistant teachers. Their long-term commitment to our programs enables relationships to develop that are integral to student learning and community. There are a number of volunteers who provide help for in-person and virtual events from time to time.
We also provide a home library of children’s books to each of our students. Each year, we receive over 10,000 books from publishers to distribute to families in our programs and the community. This position will manage the home library program, tracking inventory and working with volunteers and staff to get the right books to the right students multiple times throughout the year.
Reporting to the Chief Program Officer, the Manager of Volunteers and Home Libraries will manage an expanding volunteer program that supports our students and community outreach, and oversee our home library program and book distribution for online events.
● Expand the volunteer program to meet the growing needs of all departments
● Establish pipelines for volunteer recruitment, especially ones that reach Black, Indigenous, People of Color communities
● Conduct general volunteer orientations and trainings, and assist Program Managers who require specialized trainings and support
● Organize volunteer appreciation events and periodic feedback surveys
● Create and oversee opportunities for employees of corporate sponsors to have meaningful volunteer experiences with Literacy Partners
● As needed, write content related to volunteers for the website or publications
● Mobilize volunteers for online events and community outreach
Home Libraries Management
● Manage the home libraries program (called “Books of Their Own”)
● Work with teachers and staff to develop annual book requests to publishers
● Receive periodic shipments of books in our office and maintain inventory on shelves
● Track inventory using a database to record quantities of each title received and distributed
● Work with staff to distribute the right books to the right students via mail or in person
● Create reports as needed
● At least two (2) years of experience in a related position
● Proven success working with large numbers of diverse individuals
● Experience designing and conducting workshops or trainings
● Experience with Diversity Equity Inclusion and/or cultural competency initiatives
● Excellent project management skills
● Experience working with teams and multiple programs
● Excellent oral and written communications skills
● Strong digital communications skills
● Experience in databases and project management software
● Ability to work independently and collaboratively, in a goal-oriented team environment
● Familiarity with Microsoft Office and Google suite
● As needed, ability to work in person (Manhattan office) and some travel within NYC
● Has a sense of humor
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive Salary (based on experience) and excellent benefits
● 20 vacation days, 3 personal days, 12 holidays
● Excellent medical, vision and dental plan
● Employer-matched contributions to retirement plan
How to Apply:Send resume with a brief cover letter to email@example.com. Put “Manager, Volunteers and Home Libraries” with your name in the subject line. Please include an acceptable salary range in your cover letter. Interviews will be granted on a rolling basis until the position is filled with a start date as soon as possible.
Literacy Partners is committed to diversity and is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.