Every volunteer at Literacy Partners helps us do more to help our students learn English, improve their reading and writing skills, and prepare for the high school equivalency test.
Here’s how you can help:
- Facilitate an English conversation group. We are seeking volunteer leaders to facilitate We Are New York (WANY) conversation groups. After attending a training session, you will be able to help New Yorkers improve their English skills by leading one of these groups—near your home, elsewhere in your borough, or in a neighborhood you’ve never visited. Two-hour classes are held weekly over 11-week periods.
- Tutor students working towards their high school equivalency degree. We are looking for weekly study hall tutors to assist our English-speaking students with high school-level reading/writing comprehension and math. Tutoring is done out of our main office in the Financial District.
- Work with our staff in our office. Help us serve more families with better results by volunteering in our Communications, Development, or Program Departments with a wide variety of day-to-day tasks and special projects. We are currently seeking volunteers to help us with:
-Sorting and inventorying donated books
-Researching funding and donor prospects
-Administrative support for donor mailings and outreach; archiving Literacy Partners historical files
-Proofreading and copy-editing materials
- Help us get the word out. Be a part of our outreach team getting the word out to prospective students about our high school equivalency classes by flyering, tabling at local schools, or reaching out to community organizations.
- Host a special event or help organize one. Networking events are one of the most important ways we can engage more community members in our mission.