Every volunteer at Literacy Partners helps us do more to help our students improve their English skills.
Here’s how you can help:
- Facilitate an English conversation group. Literacy Partners provides English conversation practice groups where immigrant New Yorkers learn about free city resources, build their confidence, and share their personal triumphs and challenges. In two-hour classes, enthusiastic and compassionate facilitators use the Emmy award-winning educational video series We Speak NYC (formerly We Are New York) as a narrative springboard to discuss immigrant-centered scenarios and how to access NYC resources (e.g., paid sick leave, translators for parent-teacher conferences, free and confidential mental health services). Participants work together to practice English, solve problems, and advocate for themselves and their families in an English dominant world.
- We are currently looking for facilitators for the below locations/schedules. If you are interested and available to volunteer at one of the below sites, please email firstname.lastname@example.org directly. All other facilitator openings have been filled. The deadline for new volunteers to apply for the spring cycle (February-May) is January 1st. Those that have already completed the online volunteer application do not need to re-submit.
- Sheltering Arms-Malcolm X Early Childhood Education Center
111-12 Northern Blvd, Corona NY 11368
TUESDAYS 9:00 AM-11:00 AM
- Flushing YMCA
138-46 Northern Blvd, Flushing NY 11354
FRIDAYS 10:00 AM-12:00 PM
- Work with our staff in our office. Help us serve more families with better results by volunteering in our Communications, Development, or Program Departments with a wide variety of day-to-day tasks and special projects. We are currently seeking volunteers to help us with:
-Sorting and inventorying donated books
-Researching funding and donor prospects
-Administrative support for donor mailings and outreach; archiving Literacy Partners historical files
-Proofreading and copy-editing materials
-Translate student materials in other languages (Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, French)
- Help us get the word out. Be a part of our outreach team getting the word out to prospective students about our high school equivalency classes by flyering, tabling at local schools, or reaching out to community organizations.
- Host a special event or help organize one. Networking events are one of the most important ways we can engage more community members in our mission.