Every volunteer at Literacy Partners helps us do more to help our students learn English, improve their reading and writing skills, and prepare for the high school equivalency test.
Here’s how you can help:
- Facilitate an English conversation group. We work with a variety of community-based organizations across all five boroughs to provide free English conversation groups. Trained facilitators lead the 2-hour weekly group meetings and use the Emmy award-winning We Are New York (WANY) educational video series to discuss everyday scenarios that our adult students and their families may encounter. As a facilitator, you will be helping provide a needed opportunity for students to practice English while working together to solve problems. Some students even go on to become facilitators themselves!
- All of our facilitator placements have been filled for the spring semester. The deadline to apply for a facilitator placement for the fall semester is Friday July 27, 2018; click on the survey link at the bottom of this page to start your application now. Please note that our greatest need for facilitators is in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island.
- Tutor students working towards their high school equivalency degree. We are looking for weekly study hall tutors to assist our English-speaking students with high school-level reading/writing comprehension and math. Tutoring is done out of our main office in the Financial District.
We’re in search of math volunteer instructors who would like to volunteer teaching and/or tutoring for our High School Equivalency students. This includes opportunities for one-on-one tutoring (1 day a week), group tutoring (1 day a week) or small classroom teaching (two days a week). Our available times are 5pm-6pm, Monday through Thursday for tutoring, and 6pm-8:45pm classroom teaching. Qualifications: must be experienced working with adults or teens and working in high school math education. Days required can be one or two days a week. Must maintain a consistent schedule. An orientation will be scheduled before working with students. Please attach a resume upon emailing. Contact Vulcanus Levi at email@example.com.
- Work with our staff in our office. Help us serve more families with better results by volunteering in our Communications, Development, or Program Departments with a wide variety of day-to-day tasks and special projects. We are currently seeking volunteers to help us with:
-Sorting and inventorying donated books
-Researching funding and donor prospects
-Administrative support for donor mailings and outreach; archiving Literacy Partners historical files
-Proofreading and copy-editing materials
-Translate student materials in other languages (Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, French)
- Help us get the word out. Be a part of our outreach team getting the word out to prospective students about our high school equivalency classes by flyering, tabling at local schools, or reaching out to community organizations.
- Host a special event or help organize one. Networking events are one of the most important ways we can engage more community members in our mission.