Every volunteer at Literacy Partners helps us do more to help our students improve their English skills.
Sign up here to get monthly updates on volunteer opportunities:
Here’s how you can help:
- Facilitate an English conversation group. Literacy Partners provides English conversation practice groups where immigrant New Yorkers learn about free city resources, build their confidence, and share their personal triumphs and challenges. In two-hour classes, enthusiastic and compassionate facilitators use the Emmy award-winning educational video series We Speak NYC (formerly We Are New York) as a narrative springboard to discuss immigrant-centered scenarios and how to access NYC resources (e.g., paid sick leave, translators for parent-teacher conferences, free and confidential mental health services). Participants work together to practice English, solve problems, and advocate for themselves and their families in an English dominant world.
- We are currently looking for facilitators for the below locations/schedules. If you are interested and available to volunteer at one of the below sites, please email firstname.lastname@example.org directly. All other facilitator openings have been filled for Spring 2019.
- Broadway Family Plaza
5731 Broadway, Bronx, NY 10463 (Kingsbridge Heights)
MONDAYS 6:00 PM-8:00 PM 3/4/19-5/20/19
- PS/MS 4
1701 Fulton Ave, Bronx, NY 10457 (Crotona Park West)
TUESDAYS 6:15 PM-8:30 PM 3/5/19-5/21/19
- Part of the Solution (POTS)
2759 Webster Ave, Bronx, NY 10458
THURSDAYS 6:00 PM-8:00 PM 3/7/19-5/9/19
- The deadline for new volunteers to apply for the summer cycle (July-August) is June 1st, 2019. Those that have already completed the online volunteer application and returning facilitators do not need to re-submit their volunteer application as their information is kept on file. Applicants who are selected to facilitate a group must attend training workshops on Tuesday June 25, 2019 (for NEW facilitators), and on Tuesday July 9th, 2019 (for ALL facilitators). Workshops are held 6:00 PM-9:00 PM at our office at 75 Maiden Lane.
- Work with our staff in our office. Help us serve more families with better results by volunteering in our Communications, Development, or Program Departments with a wide variety of day-to-day tasks and special projects. We are currently seeking volunteers to help us with:
-Sorting and inventorying donated books
-Researching funding and donor prospects
-Administrative support for donor mailings and outreach; archiving Literacy Partners historical files
-Proofreading and copy-editing materials
-Translate student materials in other languages (Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, French)
- Help us get the word out. Be a part of our outreach team getting the word out to prospective students about our high school equivalency classes by flyering, tabling at local schools, or reaching out to community organizations.
- Host a special event or help organize one. Networking events are one of the most important ways we can engage more community members in our mission.
Teach a fellow New Yorker how to read. Literacy Partners has been teaching adults to read since 1974. Literacy Partners’ newly relaunched Basic Literacy Program is recruiting volunteer tutors. After comprehensive training and with consistent hands-on support, tutors provide one-on-one phonics based reading instruction to adult New Yorkers between the ages of 20 and 87. All tutors work one three hour shift a week, on either a Wednesday or a Thursday evening, from 6 to 9pm. The tutor works with the same student every week. .
If you are interested in volunteering please email email@example.com.
You have the opportunity to help a fellow New Yorker to experience the power that comes with literacy.
Volunteers must commit to the following:
- Complete 6 hours of training
- Show up prepared, patient, and excited
- Show Unconditional Positive Regard to students AT ALL TIMES
A three hour class consists of:
- 30 minutes – Whole group opening activity (10 students, 10 tutors)
- 60 minutes – One-on-one reading instruction
- 60 minutes – Listening comprehension and Storytelling
- 30 minutes – Whole Group closing activity