Position: Deputy Director of Operations, La Fuerza de Familias Latinas
Status: Full-time exempt
Start Date: January 2022
Reports to: National Director of Parent Education
Literacy Partners strengthens families through a two-generation approach to education. With our free classes, community-based workshops, and educational media, low-income and immigrant parents can develop the literacy and language skills they need to help their children thrive. Our research-based curriculum incorporates child development and parent support to help parents boost their children’s early reading, school readiness, and health and wellness.
La Fuerza de Familias Latinas (La Fuerza) is our national program for Spanish-speaking parents developed in partnership with Univision, based on the hit telenovela mini-series, La Fuerza de Creer. Our social impact extension of this telenovela inspires and supports Spanish-speaking families to promote their children’s early learning and social-emotional growth through educational workshops created in-language and in-culture. Our model celebrates and builds on the caregiving strengths of Latinx families and has been called “uniquely effective” by our external evaluator. 99% of participants would recommend the program to a friend.
Our business model is transitioning from “direct service” with parents and caregivers to primarily “B-to-B” in which we provide early childhood development programs with training and an easy-to-use kit for them to implement La Fuerza parent education workshops with the families they serve. We recently won a National Science Foundation grant to dramatically expand our program nationally and adapt the model to promote informal science learning among Latinx families alongside our current program enhancing early literacy skills.
The Deputy Director of Operations is a new leadership role. The goal of the position is to help the La Fuerza team achieve our growth and impact goals by managing all the operational aspects of our strategic plan. The Deputy Director will oversee team work plans, manage the program budget, and supervise staff members, developing their capacity to create and successfully manage numerous partnerships across the country to implement La Fuerza workshops for parents and caregivers. The Deputy Director will play a major role in cultivating an organizational culture of equity and excellence and will source new talent as our team expands.
Reporting to the National Director of Parent Education, this position is a member of the 6-person La Fuerza Team, and will join the larger team at Literacy Partners. a diverse, social justice-oriented organization of 28 staff and more than 100 interns and volunteers.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Develops and manages a business plan to scale the La Fuerza program of parent workshops to reach our strategic goals in priority cities across the country.
- Manages all internal operational systems — CRM, project budgets, staffing, consultants, supply chains and vendor management, forms and agreements for external partnerships forms, data collection and reporting, etc.
- Works with team members to develop individual workplans and coaches them to achieve quarterly/annual goals related to number of workshops delivered, quality of results, retention of partners, etc.
- Supports team members in all aspects of their operating and management environment, including: creating and tracking sales funnels, allocating their time across goals, developing and approving new partner agreements, sourcing vendors and short-term consultants, purchasing, etc.
- Manages staff and consultants to oversee the La Fuerza website, learning management system for partner agencies, merchandising of our various product lines, and overall communications.
- Serves as the point of contact for all other Literacy Partners divisions, including Finance, Marketing and Communications, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 5+ years relevant program management experience
- Track record of success managing 2+ direct reports
- Outstanding written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills in English and Spanish
- Exceptional leadership and strong systems thinking
- Well-organized, motivated, and able to work independently, and lead a collaborative team
- Must be a creative problem-solver with a big heart and a great sense of humor
- Ability to work in a remote start-up environment and across various time zones
- Deep cultural competence and commitment to equity racial and gender equity
- Experience managing educational programs serving school districts is a plus
Competitive salary based on experience. Excellent paid benefits.
- 20 vacation days, 3 personal days, 12 holidays
- Excellent medical, vision, and dental plan
- Employer-matched contributions and retirement plan
How to Apply
Send resume and brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include an acceptable salary range in the cover letter. Put “Deputy Director of Operations, La Fuerza de Familias Latinas” with your full name in the subject line. Interviews will be granted on a rolling basis until the position is filled with a start date in January 2022.