POSITION: ESOL Teacher: English for Parents (in-person and online)
STATUS: Full-time exempt (or part-time in-person only)
LOCATION: New York City (Corona Library, Queens)
START DATE: August 2022
Salary: $50,000 and excellent benefits
Literacy Partners strengthens families through a two-generation approach to education. With our free classes, community-based workshops, and educational media, low-income parents develop the literacy and language skills they need to succeed in today’s world. Our research-based curriculum also incorporates child development and parenting support to help parents boost their children’s early reading, school readiness, and social-emotional growth.
The English for Parents Teacher (in-person and online) will be responsible for teaching three adult ESOL classes: two in-person and one online for parents of young children. The two in-person classes are funded by a workforce development grant (WIOA) and require some data management. There is also the option of teaching two in-person classes as a part-time employee. All classes are designed for parents of young children and emphasize parent-child connection, reading with children, early childhood development, and health literacy. We focus on parents in order to have a two-generation impact: helping low-income, immigrant parents gain the skills they need to create a better life for themselves while advancing their children’s cognitive development and health.
Reporting to the English for Parents Program Manager, this position is a member of a four-person teaching team and will join our diverse, social justice-oriented team of 28 staff and more than 100 interns and volunteers.
● Lead English for Parents classes (full-time: 2 in-person and 1 online; part-time: 2 in-person).
● Work with WIOA Case Manager and WIOA Grant Manager to track all outcomes related to the WIOA
grant, particularly workforce outcomes, attendance and language proficiency.
● Submit required student data for state databases as needed.
● Collaborate with the ESOL teacher team and program manager to develop, adapt and execute lesson plans that integrate reading with children, connection between parent and child, health literacy and workforce development.
● Ensure lessons are logically sequenced, level appropriate, address various learning styles within the online
and in-person environments and adhere to the scope and sequence.
● Maintain a class atmosphere that is culturally responsive and inclusive.
● Manage in-class volunteers and interns and integrate them meaningfully into the lessons using a communicative language approach.
● Participate in a weekly Community of Practice, attend staff and program meetings, and participate in professional development opportunities.
Qualifications and Requirements
● Minimum two-year experience teaching ESOL to adult students (preferably parents of young children)
● Degree in related field (e.g., Education, Early Childhood, Public Health)
● TESOL certified
● Proficiency in Zoom and Google Suite, proficiency in Salesforce preferred.
● Bilingual a plus, but not required (Mandarin, Spanish, Arabic)
● Strong communication and interpersonal abilities
● Experience in non-profits preferred
● Great sense of humor
Compensation and Benefits
● 20 vacation days, 3 personal days, 12 holidays
● Excellent medical, vision and dental plan
● Employer-matched contributions to retirement plan
How to Apply: Send resume with a brief cover letter to email@example.com. Put “ESOL Teacher” with your name in the subject line and note whether you would prefer the full-time (3 classes) or part-time (2 classes) position. Interviews will be granted on a rolling basis until the position is filled with a start date in July/August 2022.
Literacy Partners is committed to diversity and is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.