Status: Independent Contractor
Location: Bronx, New York (in-person)
Term: 16 weeks (February – May 2023) | 5-10 hours per week
Literacy Partners is seeking an experienced facilitator for young adults, who brings a trauma-informed, social justice oriented approach to teaching and learning.
WHO WE ARE: Literacy Partners strengthens families through a two-generation approach to education. With our free classes, community-based workshops, and educational media, low-income parents develop the literacy and language skills they need to succeed in today’s world. Our research-based curriculum also incorporates child development and parenting support to help parents boost their children’s early reading, school readiness, and social-emotional growth.
THE OPPORTUNITY: Our Leadership in Education and Parenting (LEAP) program supports young parents who are seeking to obtain their High School Equivalency diplomas (also known as GED, General Education Development test) and transition successfully into college. LEAP employs a two-generation approach that bolsters the responsive parenting strategies of young mothers and supports their achievement of meaningful academic success.
The LEAP facilitator will lead twelve weekly 2 hour sessions on topics related to intergenerational trauma, early child development, responsive parenting, and resilience strategies. The ideal candidate understands how systemic (and internalized) oppression shapes the experiences of young BIPOC adults, has a deep understanding of trauma-informed approaches to teaching/learning, and has experience cultivating an empowering space that centers the parent-scholars as agents of change in their communities.
Session Coordination and Facilitation
1. Lead twelve in-person two-hour sessions at Bronx Community College between March to
2. With the Literacy Partners team, implement retention strategies to keep students engaged
and in full attendance and convene integration activities (e.g. playdates, closing
3. Work in partnership with the GED program to further support students.
4. Cultivate a community of connection during and in between sessions.
1. Communicate and coordinate with the Program Manager for logistical and operational
needs, as well as matters related to the students.
2. Attend virtual weekly team meetings and prepare debriefing reports for each week.
3. Participate in orientation the week before the program starts and program debrief
sessions one week after the program concludes.
4. Design and participate in the integration activities.
All technology will be provided by the contractor – reliable internet and a video camera are required.
How to apply: Send resume with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “LEAP Facilitator” with your name in the subject line.
Literacy Partners is committed to diversity and is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.